My feedback
To be honest blogging was not my favourite event but I learnt a lot from it. From this course I learnt that ICT or technology does help children a lot. Perhaps it is my personal philosophy about blogs that was stopping me to learn from it, teaching practices and the teacher’s values doe’s effect on how ICT and creativity is viewed and used within our centre. According to Smorti (1999), technology is about helping people and solving problems.
Then I have also learnt that there were many examples of using ICT – particularly data projectors and LCD screens – now I know that children could share the ‘products’ of their creative work, digital stories, photographs, animations, and get feedback from each other and teachers too when they use ICT technology (Heathery, Ham & Evans, 2010). I as a teacher now know ICTs in ways designed to promote children’s sense of belonging in respect of wider family, whānau or iwi community groups. Sense of belonging outcomes were often evidenced in the many studies that investigated ways of connecting services with their community (Ministry of education, 1996). For example if a child goes away and seeing her online for even seeing her photos gives other children a sense of belonging.
The teachers can also benefit from computers and it technology as a valuable instructional tool. A well designed computer centre can promote almost as much interaction within the children’s life as a dramatic play would do. The use of technology can assist in the development of the undeveloped spatial figurative skills in young children (Talay-Ongan, Emily A. Ap, 2005). Use of technology I have learnt can help with fine motor skills
Furthermore I have also learnt from my fellow group members that it is very important to check my spellings as I go along with my blog project and posting it all online. Doing a non digital creative project with the children is also very important because it is important for children’s gross motor skills. New Zealand is full of natural resources and making use of it is really good for children.
Other things I learnt from doing this blog is that not everything dealing with technology makes children’s world. It is very important to plan according to children’s interest. Learning through creative process can help children to develop skills and confidence with the processes of learning by doing art and craft and creativity (Isenberg & Jolongo, 2010). Time management and proper planning is very important too. I know sometimes I was abit confused with doing digital and non digital entry because allowing children to do all digital technology work by them can be a bit challenging as a teacher. When I do learning stories the photo is taken by me and only photos on the computer is shown to the children. This blog actually showed me that children do not need to learn how to use technology. They come with it.
I did not realise that while doing a non technology activity somehow technology does come into it. I would have carried it on but some of my group member made me sit back and realise that no matter how we do an activity with children ICT technology does come into it, for example use of camera, then uploading it into your computer and finally printing it off through the printer.
Finally I would have never known about technology and a technology entry and their benefits to children in the centre. Yes this blog has taught me many valuable things that I will always value and share with my centre and you never know I may start blogging for future.
Reference
Hatherly, A.,Dr Vince, H., & L.,(2009). An overview of the impact of the Early Childhood Education Information and Communication Technologies Professional Learning (ECE ICT PL) programme, 2006–2009.
Isenberg, J., & Jalongo, M. (2010). Creative thinking and art-based learning: (5th Ed). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, United States of America: Pearson Education.
Ministry of Education, (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki matauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media
Smoti, S. (1999) Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10
Talay- Ongan, A., & Ap, E. A. (Eds.). (2005). Child development and teaching young children. Southbank, Victoria, Australia: Thompson social science Press.
No comments:
Post a Comment