Teachers usually discuss whether ICT kills creativity. Perhaps it is the teacher’s personal philosophy, teaching practices and the teacher’s values that have the real effect on how ICT and creativity is viewed and used within our centre. I explained to them and According to Smorti (1999), technology is about helping people and solving problems.
Recently a live snail was capturing J’s attention for couple of days. He showed it to me and I gave him the camera where he could capture his own excitement. He experimented with enlargements by changing the wheel on the camera. Close up photographs inspired his question “Do snails hide like a turtle?”
I also bought the snail indoors and left it on a leaf of a plant and children used magnifying glass to see how it moved and if it was sleeping or not. I asked a lot of question for example “why do you think the snail is sleeping?” T asked me “if the snail is like a turtle hiding in his home?” Robertson (2000) states that teacher learns from children by observing them, following their interest to supply resources and supporting them by making suggestions and extending their thinking by asking question through creative process.
Using ICT to highlight and give value to children’s creativity
Using camera and it’s button to ‘click and push’ sometimes the use of this technology is going to kill creativity, because it is about the software and its sounds and ‘clicks and whistles’ effects, not the children’s imagination as thought by some teachers (Hatherly, Ham & Evans, 2010). We use open-ended ICT tools e.g. digital camera and software such as smart board, computers in our centre to capture children’s learning.
I believe Digital photography also provides real opportunities for experimentation for children (Claudia & Jerkins, 1999). Our preschool has increased use of digital technology within the service led to children’s confidence to experiment in order to gain the results they wanted, as is illustrated in the story of J’s “use of the camera”. Furthermore, teachers observed that as the more experienced and skilled children modelled during experimentation, the newcomers quickly learnt to use the tools in a similar way. There were many examples of using ICT – particularly data projectors and LCD screens – so that children could share the ‘products’ of their creative work, digital stories, photographs, animations, and get feedback from each other and teachers too (Hatherly, Ham & Evans, 2010). In my centre the use of ICT is to highlight children’s creative work and the effect of ‘spreading the word’ about that was possible and led to other children’s motivation to create and present work.
Reference List
Claudia & Jenkins, (1999). A practical guide to early childhood curriculum (sixth ed). Upper saddle river, New Jersey
Hatherly, A.,Dr Vince, H., & L.,(2009). An overview of the impact of the Early Childhood Education Information and Communication Technologies Professional Learning (ECE ICT PL) programme, 2006–2009.
Ministry of Education, (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki matauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media
Robertson, J. (2000). Drawing: making thinking visible. In W. Schiller (Ed.), Thinking through the arts: Amsterdam: Harwood Academic Press.
Smoti, S. (1999) Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10




I Love your heading, I like the way that you have used research to help back up your points on using technology.
ReplyDeleteBy giving ‘J’ the opportunity to experiment with the camera helped in his understanding of the technology that can be used. ‘J’ was able to not just take the photo he also learnt what different parts of the camera did, having an understanding of this lead to him being able to see the photo before the one he was looking at. ‘J’ was also able to see multiple photos at once; this is a feat that a lot of adults are incapable of doing with their cameras.
This has shown how children are capable to discover through experimentation and how as teachers we can be biased in what we think children are capable of.
Hi Sonia,
ReplyDeleteGreat reflection on the role of a camera in ‘J’s’ learning journey with the snail. You made the learning journey very clear for the reader so they could follow alone at ease. I found it interesting that you talked about the question of ‘Does ICT kills creativity’ as this is not a question I have ever given thought to. You have done a great job backing up your thinking with literature, I also like your brief mention of the back round of your centres journey and use of ICT, and how J’s story is a direct outcome of that journey. I think that you have demonstrated that this experience was a manifestation of J’s creativity and that it in turn encouraged other children to also engage in the learning taking place. Thanks for letting me read your blog!
Hi another, another beautiful blog that I have enjoyed. 'J' was very lucky that he had this opportunity under your watchful eye. And I agree with Jamee, the reader was definately able to follow 'J's learney journey with the use of this technology.
ReplyDeleteI also like your use of literature. Through the writing of your blog, and the links to literature, I am also able to see your own learning.
'Does ICT kill creativity' is also a challenging question for myself. Although my philosophy is centered more on the natural side of things, 'J's journey reinforces the learning from such technology, the preservation of 'scientific discoveries' from a child's viewpoint, and the exploration that digital technology also involves.
Thanks for sharing :)
Dear Carmen And Mel,
ReplyDeleteThank you alot for sharing you comments on my blog. I had to put alot of literatute on this blog because i found the reading very intersting and hoped you can use the references for futur if you need them.I know somtimes ot is hard to find leterature but if references is given then you know where to find it.
I liked the heading does ICT kill creativity? i know it is a challenging question but if we see, there are so many things that we can do with children outside the centre that is good for their gross motor skills, fine motor skills yet i still believe that children need ICT skills as well.
I know that from now on i will be more observant and see if children like digital or non digital technology better.